Last Updated: May 27, 2016
Information We Collect
We may obtain the following information concerning you or your mobile phone device, which may include Personally Identifying Information:
1. Usage Information
We store information about your activity, the events you create and the messages you send and receive through our Services. Our servers store events, any information related to events like title, description, time, date, host and guests of an event, sender and recipient of a message, multimedia files shared among Users. We will track the number of each such transaction per User by time period to improve the Services and our Users’ experience.
2. User Provided Information
You provide your Personally Identifiable Information when you choose to participate in various uses of the Services, such as registering as a User or updating your profile information. We want you, though, to be in control of your Personally Identifiable Information, so we let you update or correct all of your profile information (except your mobile phone number) by editing your profile under ‘Settings’ within the Application.
We do not collect location information. You have the option to voluntarily share your location with other Users in the Application, but we do not collect or save this information in our servers.
Additionally, in order to provide the Services, we need to periodically access/save your address book or contact list on your mobile phone to locate the mobile phone numbers of other Users (“in-network” numbers), or otherwise categorize other mobile phone numbers as “out-of-network” numbers. The Application will associate the name the User has assigned to the mobile phone number in his/her mobile address book. As a result, if you have your friend’s mobile phone number associated with the name “Best Friend” in your mobile address book, that is the name that will appear for that mobile phone number in your list of contacts within the Application.
3. User Content
In the normal course of business we store and archive the content of event invitations (including event names, guest lists, date/time, place, details, etc.) and messages (including media files) that have been delivered by the Services. We decided to save this information in our servers so that any User would be able to have access to past and future event information in case of a change of his/her mobile number or replacement of his/her mobile device. It simply would not be fun for a User to lose all that information due to a change in number or device.
Our ‘Chat’ feature is meant to be a SMS replacement, using data service through a User’s phone (either via cell network or wifi). Users type their messages, which are sent via data service to our servers, and routed to the intended recipient (who must also be a User) when such User is online.
We may also retain date and time stamp information, mobile phone numbers, and any other information required to be collected by applicable law, which is associated with any delivered event invitation and message.
Any Personally Identifiable Information or Status Submissions (as defined in the Terms) that you voluntarily disclose by the use of our Services becomes publicly available and may be collected and used by other Users of the Services. Your name (as it is saved in other User’s mobile phone address book or contact list) may be displayed to other Users when you post Status Submissions through the Services and other Users may contact you through the Services.
4. Device Information
We collect information about your device, including the hardware make and model number, operating system and version, browser type and language, mobile device phone number and mobile network information. We also use software development tools to capture events when the Application is not working as expected (e.g., if the Application crashes on your device then we will collect the type of operation you were performing that made the Application crash, as well as other information such as the device’s processor and memory usage, and the network’s capacity and state).
5. Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
6. Web Log File Information
When you use the Site, our servers automatically record certain information that your web browser sends whenever you visit any website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, browser language, referring/exit pages and URLs, platform type, number of clicks, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed and the order of those pages, the amount of time spent on particular pages, the date and time of your request, one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your phone number. When you use the Services, our servers log certain general information that our Application sends when an event invitation is drafted, sent, received or updated, when responses to the events are received or when a message is sent or received inside an event or using the ‘Chat’ feature, including time and date stamps and the mobile phone numbers the event information and messages were sent to and from.
We also enable Aviary, a third-party photo editor that we have incorporated in our Application, to gather the following non-personally-identifiable information in Aviary’s servers: (a) when a User opens and closes the Aviary photo editor, (b) when photos are uploaded to the Aviary photo editor for editing, and (c) the tools within the Aviary editor that are used by our Users.
The Information We Do Not Collect
We do not collect emails, addresses or other contact information from our Users’ mobile address book or contact lists other than mobile phone numbers. The Application will assign to any phone number the name that the User has given to such number in the address book of his/her mobile device.
How We Use Information
We use the Personally Identifiable Information and certain non-personally-identifiable information (such as anonymous User usage data, cookies, IP addresses, browser type, clickstream data, etc.) (“Non-Personally-Identifiable Information”, together with the Personally Identifiable Information, the “Information”) that you submit through the Site or Services to provide you with great Services that we are constantly improving.
But we do a lot more, such as:
• Develop, improve and refine the quality, design and functionality of the Site, Application and Services;
• Verify your identity and mobile number, and prevent fraud or other unauthorized or illegal activity;
• Create new features, promotions, push notifications, functionality and services by storing, tracking, and analyzing User preferences, trends and usage;
• Communicate with you by (i) responding to your comments and questions; (ii) providing non-marketing, administrative or customer services, such as notifications regarding major Site or Services changes; and (iii) sending you technical notices, security alerts, confirmations, updates and other informational messages; and
• Carry out any other purpose for which the Information was collected.
• save information so that you will not have to re-enter it every time you use the Services or Site;
• provide personalized content and information;
• monitor individual and aggregate metrics, including, but not limited to, total number of visitors, pages viewed, contacts invited, events created, and messages sent; and
• track your entries, submissions, views and information related to event invitations and messages.
We do not use your mobile phone number or other Personally Identifiable Information to send commercial, advertising or marketing messages without your consent or except as part of a specific program or feature for which you will have the ability to opt-in or opt-out.
In order to keep Users’ information private and within the Application, the Application does not have any sharing buttons, widgets or badges that allow Users to share event information or messages with broader social networks outside the Application.
Upon use of our Services, you authorize us to contact you by email, SMS or phone regarding any promotions or notifications pertaining to the Application, notwithstanding that your number may be registered in the respective ‘Do not Call Registry’ (or similar service) in your country.
How We Disclose Information
Below is the type of information we may share about you with others and how we do so:
• When you post a Status Submission, your recipients will see your username and, of course, whatever your message says or shows (whether that is a photo, video or text). For example, a Status Submission of “Need a break” posted by phone number +1 (703) 774-9101 will be viewable by every User who has that number saved in the address book of their mobile device;
• When other Users view your profile, they will be able to view profile information, including your profile photo, profile status, profile first and last name and phone number;
• We also reserve the right to disclose Personally Identifiable Information and/or non-personally-identifiable information that we believe, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to (i) enforce the Terms; (ii) take precautions against liability; (iii) investigate and defend PurpleSlate against any third-party claims or allegations; (iv) assist government enforcement agencies; (v) protect the security or integrity of the Site or our servers; (vi) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of PurpleSlate, our Users or others; and/or (vii) or in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company;
• We may share your Personally Identifiable Information with third-party service providers to the extent that it is reasonably necessary to perform, improve or maintain the Site and/or Services;
• We may share Non-Personally-Identifiable Information with interested third-parties to assist them in understanding the usage patterns for certain content, services, promotions, and/or functionality of the Site;
• We share certain Non-Personally-Identifiable Information with Aviary, our third-party photo editor, to assist them in understanding the manner in which our Users use their photo editing software in our Application; and
You may decline to submit Personally Identifiable Information through the Site or the Services, but we would not be able to provide any Services to you unless you provide your mobile number. You may decline to provide any other profile information (e.g, date of birth, email address and/or gender) and you would still be able to use our Services.
Third-party Advertisers, Links to Other Sites
Our Services are provided completely free of advertisements and do not contain any third-party links or third-party branded services. As such, we do not use your mobile phone number to send you any commercial, advertising or marketing messages. We hope to keep it this way forever. We have no intention to introduce advertisement into the product, but if we ever do, we will update this section.
Our Commitment To Data Security
We use commercially reasonable physical, managerial, and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your personal information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information that you transmit to us and you do so at your own risk. Using unsecured wifi or other unprotected networks to submit messages through the Services is never recommended. Once we receive your transmission of information, we make commercially reasonable efforts to ensure the security of our systems. We have implemented commercially reasonable physical, managerial, operational and technical security measures to protect the loss, misuse and alteration and to preserve the security of the Information in our care. Our security practices and procedures limit access to Information on a need to know basis only. Such measures may include, where appropriate, the use of firewalls, secure server facilities, proper access rights management systems and processes, careful selection of processors, standard authentication and encryption policies for our servers and other technically and commercially reasonable measures.
However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such Information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. If we learn of a security systems breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. We may post a notice on the Site or through the Services if a security breach occurs.
Our Commitment To Childrens’ Privacy
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important. For that reason, we do not direct our Services to anyone under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect or maintain any information on the Site or Application from persons under 13 years of age, and no part of the Services is directed to or intended to be used by persons under 13 years of age. If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use the Services or access the Site at any time or in any manner. If we learn that any information of persons under 13 years of age has been collected on the Site or Application, we will deactivate the related account in all respects.
Where Information is Processed
PurpleSlate is based in the United States. Although we welcome Users of our Services from all over the world, keep in mind that no matter where you live or where you happen to use our Services, you consent to the processing and transfer of information in and to the U.S. We want you to know this because the laws of the United States and where your information is processed might not be as comprehensive or protective as laws in the country where you live.
In the Event of Merger, Sale, or Bankruptcy
In the event that we are acquired by or merged with a third-party entity, we reserve the right to transfer or assign any Information we have collected from our Users as part of such merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control. In the unlikely event of our bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, receivership, or assignment for the benefit of creditors, or the application of laws or equitable principles affecting creditors’ rights generally, we may not be able to control how your Personally Identifiable Information is treated, transferred or used.